Header Ads

Indie Links Round-Up: Patched In

“This is Rogue Legacy, an indie roguelike side-scroller in which you slash your way through randomly-generated dungeons to fight monsters and earn treasure.

Capsule_Indie_Links

Today’s Indie Linksinclude articles on Rogue Legacy, Capsule and The Night of the Rabbit.

A Game Where Having OCD Makes You Stronger(Kotaku)
“This is Rogue Legacy, an indie roguelike side-scroller in which you slash your way through randomly-generated dungeons to fight monsters and earn treasure. Here’s the big gimmick: if you die, you get to play as your character’s child, and then when you die again, you’ll play as that character’s child, and so forth. Every generation inherits loot from the one before them.”

Well, This Indie Combat Game Continues To Blow My Socks Off(Kotaku)
“Strike Vector is a game that’s come out of nowhere. Worked on by four people, it’s a multiplayer aerial combat game that looks like a whole bunch of people’s dream game ideas from the 90s made real.”

GAMELOADING: Rise of the Indies documentary lands on Kickstarter(VG247)
“GAMELOADING: Rise of the Indies is a feature length documentary regarding indie game scene around the world, and it has landed on Kcikstarter. So far StudioBento, the filmmakers, have interview 18 industry folks, such as Obsidian’s Chris Avellone, Unity founder and CEO David Helgason, and EA founder Trip Hawkins.”

2K Marin creative director departs for the indie life(VG247)
“Former 2K Marin creative director Jordan Thomas has gone indie.”

Wot I Think: CAPSULE(RPS)
“I know how I will die. I am reminded of it constantly, and without sympathy. One shrinking white oblong, to the upper left of my vision, taunts me with the rapid decline of my oxygen; another, upper right, expressionlessly cackles at me with its ever-diminishing power supply, showing me the encroaching demise of the Capsule that keeps me alive.”

Richard and Alice(Indie Game Chick)
“In all honesty, I’m not sure what to write about Richard and Alice. On one hand, I dig this game because it spins a compelling, complex yarn that you’ll want to see through to the end. On the other hand, I hate it because that yarn hits too close to home for my liking. As a seasoned writer and critic, I should be able to keep my personal biases and issues out of a professional review but, in this case, I cannot. I’m human and things affect me. So it goes.”

The Night of the Rabbit Review: The Best Game I Never Played(Indie Game Insider)
“After a quick glance at Daedalic Entertainment’s website, I was ecstatic to start playing The Night of the Rabbit. As an adventure game enthusiast, the game’s style immediately jumped out at me. The game features intricate, mythological back stories, influenced by the rustic lore and personalities of different countries, such as leprechauns from Ireland and Kitsune from Japan. When I started up the game, the first thing I noticed about the point-and-click adventure was its fantastic art and its beautiful aesthetics. Daedalic’s games are visually breathtaking, and Night of the Rabbit is no exception. The game features a wide variety of quirky, witty characters and stunning music making for an engaging and endearing atmosphere you will quickly become attached to.”

Wargame: Airland Battle: Steep Learning for Deep Gameplay(Indie Game Insider)
“You could argue that games such as Minecraft and Portal are rather simple titles. They have concepts that revolve around rather basic mechanics. Shoot gun, jump through portal. Mine blocks, craft crap. Why do we adore these games so much? The depth that is created by the phenomenal game design creates a gameplay experience that drives us to keep playing. How many people have picked up Dwarf Fortress, played two minutes, and didn’t even bother continuing after seeing the ASCII symbol graphics? Sure, some people love that game and have spent more time on it than any other game in their life, but to find a member of this cult is few and far between. The theory of depth versus complexity is tossed around in the industry once in a while, but probably not enough. This is a concept where grand strategy titles and RTSs often fail. This is where Wargame: AirLand Battle decided to break the mold.”

Powered by Blogger.