Header Ads

Out There – Space Can Be Lonely

When I first saw the trailer for Out There , I knew two things.

, I knew two things. One: I had to play it. And two: it was going to have a depth to it that possibly only space could rival. I was right on both accounts, as Miclos Studioshave created an iOS and Android game that I have been unable to stop thinking about.

One of the things I first noticed, and appreciated, about Out There was its clean, comic-book style visuals, which are at their best during the orbit of unexplored planets, and the game’s introduction and following warp segues – both of which can be skipped, and both of which I never came close to skipping, even after I’d seen the warping cutscene multiple times. Anyway, I digress.

Out There puts you in the lonely space-boots of an astronaut who has become lost in space after a long time spent on cryo-sleep, and is doing his very best to reach an unexplained star in the distance, in the hope that it will lead him home. After a short introduction which filled me in on these events, I was given the option to play through a tutorial, which I gladly accepted, having seen the possible depth of the gameplay in the trailer above.

A short while later, after learning the ins and outs of maintaining fuel, oxygen and spaceship hull levels – which will be crucial to lengthy deep space exploration – and I was travelling through the galaxies. Did I head to the nearest planet in search of supplies, or did I use a little more fuel and warp to a different solar system or volatile star, where I’d be much more likely to salvage more impressive goods, but at the risk of destroying the spaceship?

The rewards can far outweigh the risks, as there is an abundance of supplies, parts and new technology, all of which you’ll need to get the most out of what the game has to offer. Want to land on a burning star? You’ll need to find the right parts to craft a superior energy shield, unless you feel like holding a one-man BBQ in space – which does sound pretty good, when you think about it. There are many different and interesting technologies waiting for you to find, and each will allow you to further explore the solar systems around you, finding even better things in return.

Each time I loaded Out There up on my tablet I got a little bit further and uncovered more of the game than I had seen on my previous playthrough, which made each new journey quite exciting to set out on.

On my first playthrough I sped through space, burning through my fuel after only visiting a few stars, and my game was over. In my second playthrough, however, I was more resourceful, and drilled and probed planets for their bounties before discovering my first alien, and learning some of its language. Subsequent playthroughs continued this tradition, with new planets, technology and snippets of narrative being discovered gradually, and I can’t be sure how much more could be hiding from me among the stars.

The little bursts of story I came across felt extremely heartfelt, and each are as lonely as the endless stretch of space might be for an astronaut. For example, I witnessed an alien’s last few moments of life, and despite having no way to truly understand one another, felt connected. This could be because it was the first sign of life I’d seen since being stranded in space, but all I know is that it was a powerful moment of gameplay, and one that was conveyed entirely in text; no easy feat, I assure you.

Accompanying these moments, and the entire game, is melancholy background music that sounds as lonely as the developers set out to make to you feel, and is a perfect match for an astronaut on his hopeful journey to a distant star.

If I had to be picky here – and I do, it’s kind of my job – my only thoughts on how to improve Out There would be to add a little more to the tutorial. Since this game has so much depth to it, it feels a little overwhelming when you are first thrown into space, knowing only the bare minimum needed to trial-and-error your way to successful space travel. Then again, too much hand-holding could ruin the atmosphere of the game, so it really is only an afterthought on my part.

Nevertheless, Out There is an impressive game that blurs the line between game and emotional experience, which is a union that works in its favour. Whether exploring stars, planets or solar systems, heading to an unknown artefact or learning an alien language, there’s always going to be something to do on your journey home, and some of it will be as surprising as it is beautifully lonely.

Powered by Blogger.