Header Ads

Lose Yourself in the Surreal World of Hylics

I have an fondness for strange games, and sometimes I can’t help but think they’re as drawn to me as I am to them.

I have an fondness for strange games, and sometimes I can’t help but think they’re as drawn to me as I am to them. A recent discovery in this category is Hylics , a surreal game by Mason Lindroth that perfectly fits the definition of “unconventional.” Defined by the developer as “a recreational program with light JRPG elements,” Hylics presents a game that reminds me of a twisted Shin Megami Tensei .

The game, which is Lindroth’s first fully-developed concept, features his genuinely unique art style, using characters and scenarios built in hot-colored claymation and dotted visuals that draw influence from his previous game jam projects, like,and

Players control a party of up to four characters while exploring the game’s bizarre world. The spells and melee attacks of conventional turn-based JRPGs are replaced with juice boxes, frozen burritos and weird medicine chants. In addition, the dialogue of NPCs, usually filled with complex game lore, is randomly generated text. This combination of unusual concepts adds up to about two hours of gameplay.

Hylics’ surreal trip has been available on itch.iosince August 7 for PC at a price point of $3 USD. For extra information about the game or other Mason Lindroth’s projects, visit his Tumblr, where gamers can find links to play all his game-jam developments for free.

Powered by Blogger.